Development Group – Terms of Reference
SCARCROFT VILLAGE DEVELOPMENT WORKING GROUP
(commissioned by Scarcroft Parish Council)
1. The group’s full name shall be the Scarcroft Village Development Working Group, hereinafter referred to as ‘the Group’.
Aims and Objectives
2. The aims and objectives of the Group shall be:
a. to stimulate public interest in the history, character and natural amenity of Scarcroft, and in particular any future building or development within Scarcroft.
b. to procure interest in and contributions to the proposed Scarcroft Neighbourhood Plan, hereinafter called ‘the Plan’.
c. to obtain, develop, administer and maintain a website, the purpose of the website being to support and achieve the aims and objectives of the Group.
d. to lead and steer the development and drafting of the Plan.
e. to liaise with and inform the persons or organisations appointed to formulate or produce the Plan or its equivalent.
3. None of the aims or objectives of the Group shall fetter or obstruct the prescribed functions of the Scarcroft Parish Council.
4. The Group will provide a report to the Scarcroft Parish Council (SPC) at each SPC meeting and at any other time the SPC or the Group’s Committee choose.
5. Membership shall be open to all residents of Scarcroft Village.
6. Membership shall be free.
7. A register of Members’ names and addresses shall be kept by the Secretary, and a Member shall not be entitled to vote unless so registered.
8. The Committee shall have the right and authority to suspend or terminate the membership of an individual, for good and sufficient reason, provided that that Member has the right to be heard by the Committee before the final decision is made.
a. The Group will be administered by the Committee which shall consist of a Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer and up to six further committee members, all of whom shall be elected by the Annual General Meeting for a term of one year.
b. The committee shall meet not less than once every three months.
c. The committee shall have the power to co-opt up to four further members.
d. A quorum for committee meetings shall consist of four Members, of which one shall be the Chairman or Vice Chairman.
10. Annual General Meeting
a. The first Annual General Meeting (AGM) shall meet as soon as possible after Scarcroft Parish Council’s express approval of the formation of the Group and sight of these Terms of Reference.
b. The first AGM shall discuss motions and business contained in the Agenda for the AGM and elect the Officers and Committee Members.
c. Members shall be given ten clear days notice of the first AGM, such notice being deemed to be given by email to the Members.
d. Subsequent AGMs shall be held at or around the time agreed in the first AGM by a majority of those present.
e. The business at AGM shall include:
- Consideration of the Annual Report of the Committee and of the reports of individual members of the Committee on their areas of responsibility, and of the audited accounts;
- Election of the Officers and other Committee members as per Paragraph 8 herein;
- Appointment of an auditor or auditors;
- Consideration of any other business of which due notice has been given.
11. Special General Meeting
a. A Special General Meeting (SGM) may be held at the written request of not less than 20 of the Group’s Members. The Secretary shall call the meeting within 21 days of receipt of the request.
b. The Committee may also call a SGM at any time at its discretion.
12. Notice of Meetings
At least 21 clear days notice shall be given by the Secretary to each Member of any AGM or SGM. Such notice shall be deemed to have been given if notice in writing is posted on the notice boards at Scarcroft Village Hall, outside the New Inn and the entrance to The Meadow.
13. Procedure at Meetings
a. Twenty five Members or one third of the Members of the Group, whichever is the fewer, shall form a quorum at any AGM or SGM.
b. All questions arising at any AGM or SGM shall be decided by a simple majority of those present and entitled to vote. Where no majority is achieved, the Chairman of the Meeting shall have a second or casting vote.
Nominations for Officers and Committee Members shall be made at or before the AGM. If the nominations exceed the number of vacancies, a ballot shall be completed prior to the election of the further Committee members.
15. The Committee shall, out of the monies received by the Group, meet all proper expenses of administration and management of the Group and shall make such payments as are directed by an AGM, or SGM, or agreed upon by the Committee.
16. Details of all items of income and expenditure shall be set forth in an annual account, duly audited, to be presented to the AGM. The auditor or auditors shall be elected at the AGM.
17. A Bank account shall be opened in the name of the Group with such Bank as the Committee shall from time to time decide. The Committee shall authorise in writing three members of the Committee to sign cheques on behalf of the Group. All cheques must be signed by not less than two of the three authorised signatories.
18. The Committee on behalf of the Group shall not borrow money for a term exceeding 6 months without the approval of an AGM or SGM.
19. The Committee may borrow an aggregated total of £1000 for a term not exceeding 6 months, provided all monies are used as per paragraph 15 herein.
20. Trust Property
a. The Group, in AGM or SGM, may appoint and may terminate the appointment of not less than three people to act as Trustees.
b. The Trustees shall enter into a Trust Deed setting forth the purposes and conditions under which they hold property in trust for the Group.
c. The title to any real or personal property which may be acquired by or on behalf of the Group shall be vested in the Trustees who shall hold such property in trust for the Group.
21. Amendments to Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference may be amended by a two thirds majority present at an AGM or SGM provided that prior notice of the amendment has been given in accordance with paragraph 12 herein.
a. If the Committee by a simple majority decides at any time that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the Group, then they shall call an SGM.
b. If the decision to dissolve the Group is confirmed by the SGM, then the Committee shall have power to dispose of any of the Group’s assets or available funds in accordance with the approval of the members at that SGM.